Blackmoth Forums
November 21, 2017, 03:04:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Current projects: A Nameless Inheritance and Stuff

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 48 hour game themes [for 18Mar-20Mar]  (Read 14739 times)
Tifu
Administrator

This is my favourite PPG

« on: March 14, 2011, 03:15:21 AM »

*edit*
Challenge of Non-Euclidean Geometry randomly selected and completed!

Download finished game

-------------------------------------------------

So I been making good progress with Legacy and I haven't done a 48 hour challenge thingy in a while, so unless something comes up, next weekend from Friday 6pm to Sunday 6pm my plan is to do just that.  I'll record the process like I did with the first one and make a video of the process. Wheee.

I'll randomly select a theme on Friday, right before starting.
Possible themes I'm going to randomly pick from:
Blank Horror
Blank Zelda-Like
Blank Tower (not as in tower defence)
Blank Water

and if anyone wants to suggest any other theme I'll add that to the random pool! Multiplayer as a theme is veto'd! (this is the kind of random stuff that was suggested for the 48 hour thunderdome challenges when tigsource started this up - they're not doing it anymore, so this is purely for my own practice and such)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:28:47 AM by Tifu » Logged

Victimizer
PPZ team

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 02:45:36 PM »

Gore
Ponies
Sounds
Tactile impressions
warp worlds (like in soul reaver, for example, or Link to the Past)
suicide
parasites
paradise
paranoia
pareidolia
Non-Euclidean Geometry
Intuitionist Mathematics
Pessimism
Nihilism
Spiders with hats
Scottish Philosophers
Secret Rabbitts
Ten-Tacles

"We are afraid of the enormity of the possible."
Parsec
PPZ team

Everybody wants to be a cat

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 02:53:56 AM »

Duality.  Flip between a good character in an evil world, and an evil character in a good world.  Don't spend too long in one world or another, or your karma will unbalance.

*** The Timeline is safe. ***

http://www.parsecproductions.net/
Faustenberger

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 10:24:41 AM »

Looking at something changes it.  (Schrodinger's cat is DEAD)

A reverse of the "Eat, get bigger" games. (i.e., eat, get smaller)

Microwaves are the only things that can save the earth.

Tanks sword-fighting.

Smash all the pumpkins, so you can get lollipops.

Time to put an end to Halloween...  for good!

Kvetha, fricai; atra ono waise skoliro fra rauthr.

http://www.translation-telephone.com/#392380
Tifu
Administrator

This is my favourite PPG

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 01:58:46 PM »

Fun and weird ideas. Much better than me just picking something from my own brain at randoms Tongue

A reverse of the "Eat, get bigger" games. (i.e., eat, get smaller)
Like... Mario? Or is Eat Get Bigger some weird genre of games I've never come across? (Katamari? Is that what Katamari is? I have never played it despite everyone saying it is so awesome Cry)

Faustenberger

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 07:58:14 AM »

Well, in some games (like feeding frenzy for xbox live arcade) you eat, and either every time you eat something or at certain milestones of eating, you get bigger.  Your goal is to eat as much as you can and get as big as possible.  I suggested the reverse of that.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 09:41:19 AM by Faustenberger » Logged

Tifu
Administrator

This is my favourite PPG

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 11:06:50 AM »

Oh, right! of course!

Time begins!
I coded a random generator (taking up 3 minutes of my time! aaaaaaah!!!) to select something from the list, and it spewed out:

Non-Euclidean Geometry
I'm not even 100% sure I know exactly what that is, so... yay!?!?!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 11:11:43 AM by Tifu » Logged

Tifu
Administrator

This is my favourite PPG

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 05:54:08 PM »

End of first day and I have a basic platformer with the main non-euclidean mechanic present in basic form.  It will have to be expanded of course, as this is supposed to be the theme of the game, and not just one part of it. Anyway, got a vision in my head of what it should look like by the end. Just got to... make it... be.  Grin

Victimizer
PPZ team

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 11:35:53 AM »

Cheers to your half-time success!

*edit*

So yeah, I don'T know how to embed anything on this forum and am too lazy to find out, so nya:

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Fluttershy cheer

Victimizer
PPZ team

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 11:40:20 AM »

...how did....bluh...wat

Tifu
Administrator

This is my favourite PPG

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 04:18:07 PM »

Why were PPG never a meme  Cry

Yesh, you just paste link and the magical code I put in the forums that I got somewhere, makes it imbedded, by magic!!11!

Two levels of a Seven (and a half) level adventure complete! Can I do the rest of the levels by 6 pm tomorrow, and code sound effects, an ending, progress saving, and draw some more background graphics?!?!

Possibly!?!

Faustenberger

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 06:37:58 PM »

Good luck.  (Have Waffles)

Tifu
Administrator

This is my favourite PPG

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 10:55:37 AM »

I had to cut one level cos it would have taken too long to get the difficulty tweaked to acceptable levels, but done! with 5 minutes to spare D=

*uploads*
Complete!

the Non-Euclidean Geometry was hard to code! Huh?
It's a bit buggy, monsters sometimes disappear through the floor etc. and I couldn't figure out how to place something down in a specific part of space after space had been warped which restricted some of the puzzle ideas I had... but overall, I think it works pretty well for a mechanic I've never coded before and didn't really know how to code until I started this! Grin

Five levels (six technically, but the last one has nothing in it except the ending thing...), and (technically) two endings! Wheeeeeee.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:20:03 AM by Tifu » Logged

Victimizer
PPZ team

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 03:11:34 AM »

Surprisingly nice game now that I've played it (especially the graphics imo; though also good use of the game'S main thematic feature). Aside from the enemy in floor bug, I noticed that the program (on my crappy comp) does not close with the lil' x on the right corner (you have to hit escape instead). This could just be my comp, since it is basically on life support.

Also two/three spoilerrific question-comments:

In the garden level, is there a "bottom"? If not, then dropping down for a while makes the level incompletable without a restart. So not sure if this is a problem at all.

Also, on the NOTHING stage, is it really necessary to display the amount collected? I'd think that it would quickly be apparent how to complete the level, since going left = death, going right and collecting things seems to make the Nothing go away, and from previous levels, collecting all diamond-thingies makes the exit appear - so it's clear what you have to do, and given the design of the level, one can quickly catch glimpses of the non-collected diamonds. I guess what I'm trying to say is that even if one wanted to be fairer to the player, the bar doesn't actually add anything, and given the lack of other HUD information such as health, it is a bit intrusive. (By the way: excellent design choice to only have the exit appear here AFTER you've collected ALL of the diamonds, considering what one has to do in the last level)

The last stage doesn't hint at you having to complete all levels with 100% either (btw, I thought this was neat, as it adds to the non-euclidean freakiness thing that he doesn't just die and come back - which is usually merely recognized as a game mechanic - but also basically has to revisit areas to clear them), so I don't see why the bar is inserted here.

Other than that, delicious fun times were had. *runs off to a birthday*

Tifu
Administrator

This is my favourite PPG

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 12:45:38 PM »

Thenko!
I should have said about the X/Escape thing... I haven't yet figured out how to get BlitzMax to accept the X-out as an exit (it's kind of strange that it doesn't do so as default...)

So yeah, you have to press escape to quit D

Garden: There is no "bottom" no... the level doesn't ever really become in-completable technically, it would just become longer and longer to complete, to the point where you'd be better off restarting =P I did think of possibly making something appear when you go down, like spikes keep popping up the more you go down, and the garden flourishes if you go up... that would have solved the problem, I'm not sure why I didn't do that, guess I forgot when rushing on to the next area... also if you went down then up, you'd get a weird spikey garden...

the NOTHING stage is actually the only one where you have to get 100% gems - you don't need to pick up any gems in the other levels to make the exit appear. And for that reason I thought I should put the display in that one level - I guess it was unnecessary, the 'nothing' clearly reacts to you picking up gems so I guess it's obvious enough. I suppose when playing it, I would often have only one gem left to pick up, and with the nothing approaching it would be a little dramatic knowing I was so close to victory!

Did I leave the bar in the last level? Ah... that was unintentional D= woops
The added non-euclidean freakiness of having to revisit levels was also not really intentional, but glad it works anyway %D

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: