Blackmoth Forums
August 22, 2017, 07:06:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Current projects: A Nameless Inheritance and Stuff

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 48 Hour Ludum Dare Challenge #23 - "Tiny Galaxy"  (Read 6894 times)
Tifu
Administrator

This is my favourite PPG

« on: April 22, 2012, 05:26:16 PM »

Download: here

Ludum Dare page: here

Tiny Galaxy is a platformer, where you run and jump around tiny planets in a tiny star system in a tiny galaxy in a kind of 2D Mario Galaxy style of game.

There are four levels (not including the intro stage)

Controls:
Arrow keys to move
A to jump
S spins planets faster (only used in one stage)
M mutes/unmutes the music
Escape quits

Created in BlitzMax
Sound effects created using sfxR
Music created using pxtone

Had to cut some things from original plan, there's only one type of enemy (and that one isn't great Tongue), and was originally aiming for five levels.  Also I had hoped to have some weirder shaped levels in the game, but the gravity acted odd when anything wasn't a circle Huh? still managed to get some neat things working... pretty happy with it, mostly as I learned a lot about image collisions that could come in useful for future things.

Tifu
Administrator

This is my favourite PPG

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 11:33:59 AM »

Gameplay footage + timelapse + me rambling about the game =

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFOcXiz-AWc

Tifu
Administrator

This is my favourite PPG

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 03:50:21 AM »

Here's a few games that really impressed me thus far:

Recluse - A metroidvania with a very awesome core mechanic I've never seen before.  I'll not really say more than that because you have to experience it Tongue

Tiny Galaxy - Found this one cos it had the same name as mine, it's a first person puzzle game/metroidvania thing.  Explore tiny little cuboid worlds to find happiness!  If you aren't rating the games, play v2 because it has retries, and v1 is a one-chance kind of thing, and it's very easy to die!

My Little Dungeon - This doesn't really fit the theme, but it's an interesting game anyway.  Would have suited 'indirect control' theme more.  You place dungeon segments underground, and an AI controlled hero progresses down through them.  It's pretty easy, but if it was developed further it could be pretty awesometastic.

Tifu
Administrator

This is my favourite PPG

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 09:04:54 AM »

Strategy games!

This Precious Land - An interesting little world building thing.  You can place earth down, and if two earth tiles are adjacent, they turn into grass, two grass tiles adjacent merge into a tree tile, two tree tiles merge to become a forest, forests merge to become a magical giant tree.  And then things get weird, because you can then place rocks (same principle: merge to make mountains) and water (ditto) - it can apparently get quite complex but I don't understand what I'm doing enough to get anywhere =P

Tinysasters - In this one have to build workshops and shrines in an environment that is full of natural disasters - you can see which natural disaster is coming next and try to protect yourself etc.  Goal is to build a level 3 shrine to protect your people.

Bottlecolonies - You have to place buildings in sequence, and of different colours, but coloured buildings should only touch buildings of the same colour or the inhabitants get unhappy.  It's not too hard to win, but trying to get the prosperous bonus is pretty challenging Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:07:41 AM by Tifu » Logged

Tifu
Administrator

This is my favourite PPG

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 12:56:43 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oCpFY0_Ygqg
Drunken reviews are the best reviews! =D

Tifu
Administrator

This is my favourite PPG

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 01:56:04 AM »

Results are in!

Which I have compiled into a little table so I can compare results from previous entry Smiley
Tiny Galaxy
Code:
#74 Overall           3.70
#108 Theme           3.70
#126 Fun           3.41
#140 Graphics           3.67
#187 Mood           3.13
#188 Innovation         3.46
#211 Humor           2.73
#327 Audio           2.73
We Are Alone
Code:
#69 Overall           3.41
#96 Theme           3.47
#98 Fun           3.12
#282 Graphics           2.82
#63 Mood           3.44
#76 Innovation         3.35
#415 Humor           1.64
#417 Audio           1.94

So for the most part, I got higher numbers this time, but ended up placed lower in the rankings in most categories, including the most important one.  Which means the competition was tougher this time and everyone was on their A game, I guess?  I did hope to get a higher overall stat this time, but really, I have nothing to complain about. 74th place out of over 1000 is pretty damn good Cheesy

Also... why did We Are Alone get any ranking in humour? Huh? There is a "n/a" option when voting... did some people think the slow death by frostbite of children was hilarious? D=

I should totally have called the game "Super Tiny Galaxy" why didn't I think of that!?!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 01:57:44 AM by Tifu » Logged

Gen

Don't know if smiling

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 06:22:45 PM »

Just wanted to let you know I played and finished it, the gravity was fun but some platforming and collision were really a big deal and almost a pain in the ass. Loved the idea of taxi-moons Wink
Tifu
Administrator

This is my favourite PPG

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 01:57:18 PM »

Thanks =D
Collision was very weird, I really would have loved to have some decent in-planet platforming but... yeah, the weird way that ended up working put a stop to that Tongue

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: